In modern times, people are concerned about following a proper fitness regime. The most important part of staying fit includes taking care of skin and body. Inner thigh chafing has emerged as a common problem nowadays. Particularly women who wear one-piece dresses and skirts are victims of inner thigh chafing. Inner thigh chafing is an irritation of the skin. It is triggered when the inner parts of both the thighs rub against each other.
Hyperpigmentation, burning, itching, oozing, and pain on the skin around the inner thighs are a few symptoms of inner thigh chafing. Chafing might damage the skin around the inner thighs. The friction damages and irritates the skin between the inner thighs. Many people complain of inner thigh chafing when they sit cross-legged or go out to the neighbouring shopping mall. Even toddlers are not immune to inner thigh chafing.
Causes of inner thigh chafing
People who are slim and thin do not encounter this problem, but people who have fat around the thigh, they are regular victims to this condition. Chafing of the thighs is quite painful, sometimes it becomes so unbearable that it becomes difficult to walk. In summer, there is a lot of sweating from the thigh, due to which people suffer from this problem.
Many people are curious to know the causes of inner thigh chafing. Once they are familiar with the causes of inner thigh chafing, they will be more careful. A few causes of inner thigh chafing are as follows-
- Sitting cross-legged
- Sweat or moisture
- Skin-to-skin contact
- Having large thigh muscles
- Wearing tight leggings or innerwear
- Hair removal methods, such as waxing
- Baby diapers
- Adult diapers
- Rough/ heavy fabrics
Inner Thigh Chafing treatment
Several home remedies are available for inner thigh chafing. However, the patients should clean the area around the affected skin before applying any remedy. Also, they should avoid itching the affected skin. A few home remedies to treat inner thigh chafing are as follows-
- Petroleum Jelly-The American Academy of Dermatology has prescribed petroleum jelly to cure and prevent inner thigh chafing. The chafed skin and blisters should be covered with a small amount of petroleum jelly. Not only does it protect the affected area, but also helps in faster healing.
- Lip balm- Lip balms contain petroleum jelly. As a result, it soothes inner thigh chafing. The patients need to rub a small quantity of lip balm on the chafed area.
- Powders- Baby powders and cornstarch keep the inner skin dry. It also soothes itching. The victims need to sprinkle and pat a small quantity of baby powder or cornstarch, baby powder or arrowroot powder.
- Use talcum powder- There is another way to get rid of thigh rubbing. Use talcum powder. With the help of it the skin remains smooth and does not chafe when the thighs rub. However, this remedy is a temporary solution.
A few over-the-counter medicines are also available to cure inner thigh chafing. Antihistamine cream and antihistamine tablets are a few classic examples of such over-the-counter medicines.
A few other products that cure inner thigh chafing are as follows-
- Non-stick gauze
- Antibacterial Ointment
- Silicone gel sheets
- Soft-wrap bandage
- Wet dressing
The following steps are helpful to treat inner thigh chafing in case of children-
- Mild soap for bathing
- Soft cloth diapers
- Application of petroleum jelly on the skin
- Wearing soft and loose garments
- Avoid washing the toddler’s garments with harsh detergents.
- Avoid scented wipes. Use sterile water and soft cloth instead.
You need to stay hydrated to avoid inner thigh chafing. Also, if you are a regular victim then you may buy anti-chafing thigh bands. They resemble wide elastic bands, made of soft, stretchable cloth.